Welcome, new MLIS students! You don't have to be an ALA member to join our group. Please come and find out more about us at either or both of these events:
Monday, September 19, 2011
Student Group Info Night
CDC Ground Floor
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
ALASC New Member Meeting and Potluck!
Also, please like us on Facebook and consider joining the ALA and/or MLA. Student memberships are only $33 and $25, respectively, and with your ALA membership, you get American Libraries magazine and a weekly e-newsletter.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Check out the Local Arrangements blog of the Minnesota Library Association annual conference for a great networking opportunity: Dinner with Colleagues. You can sign up to have dinner on Thursday night (October 13) during the conference in Duluth and meet working librarians in a field of your choosing.
Friday, August 5, 2011
More info for the Minnesota Library Association conference is up:
- Pricing--They haven't started taking registrations yet, but you can see they don't have a student registration rate, so exchanging volunteer hours for free registration is a great bargain (not to mention networking opportunity, etc.). Volunteer info is below.
- Agenda with "At a Glance" or complete session info options. Note that I've been told the Wednesday night "Killer Cocktails" Readers Advisory Round Table happy hour would be a great place for us to gather as a student group.
- Conference hotels--Note that these are not required, just options, and there are a million choices in Canal Park or downtown that would be appropriate. Our student group can help match you with a roommate if you want to save some money that way. Similarly, I'm happy to help arrange carpooling.
- For a single day of free registration, the following volunteer requirement must be met: Wednesday (2 hours), Thursday (3 hours), and Friday (2 hours). Volunteer opportunities include: introducing session speakers, staffing registration table, and more.
- In order to receive the entire conference registration free (all three days), students must volunteer for seven hours, broken down as above.
- Students wanting free conference registration must be members of MLA. This is still a bargain because a student membership is only $25.
As always, let me know if you have questions about anything, and I'll do what I can!